Yesterday was pretty busy, actually. Started the day by rebooting the
fileserver without the old IDE drives, though I left them in the case
just, um, in case. Took a little longer than expected to get all the
glitches out of the
but I never needed a rescue disk. Got a start on updating the daily
mirror script for the new partitioning.
Measured the distance to the Younger Daughter's school -- it's about 1.7
miles by car, so maybe 1.5 by the obvious walking route. An easy morning
walk for me, thought I don't think the Y.D. is interested. Would do her a
lot of good, though.
Spent most of the morning at work reboooting the computers in my office
and making sure things were still ok after Monday's power outage.
Everything was fine, except that I missed a meeting because my reminder
software runs on my desktop. Oops. Had a good idea in the afternoon that
elegantly solves a nasty cross-site-scripting vulnerability, at least in
the most common case. No, I can't say anything else about it yet.
Three mile walk, with hills. I needed that.
Spent some time in the afternoon researching short-run CD-ROM prices. I
think I can get the bonus disk, About
Bleeding Time, to a duplicator sometime this week, which means
it should be ready in time for Baycon, in (urk!) a little over 2 weeks. I
was originally planning to just get them printed, and burn them myself,
which would give me the freedom to burn plain CDs or CD-Extra's for those
who need them, but it's possible that CDROMs with audio will work for
almost everyone. Depends in part on whether I can fix the remaining level
problems by Friday.
When I came home I bounced the fileserver again to install the second
400GB drive for the mirror, formatted it, and finished rewriting the
mirror script -- with some sanity tests in case I didn't finish the
initial copy by the time the script had to run. Which I haven't -- I just
started transferring the big partition this morning, and it looks like
another hour or so to go. (8:24am: it's done now.)
Then, in a fit of productivity seldom seen in this decrepit old fractal, I
added the missing bit of goodness to my TrackInfo script to look in the current directory for a secondary
metadata file. That means that in albums like About
Bleeding Time that have multiple versions of the same song, I
can actually give them different descriptions in the liner notes. Yay!
So I did that, too, burned a test disk, and took the flower_cat out for a test drive. Reluctantly gave up on putting
in the version of "Silk and Steel" from Consonance -- the 5KHz feedback
was never entirely suppressed, and it made the guitar sound twangy, too.
Too bad -- it was a much better performance.
At this point the home network is in pretty solid shape, and shouldn't
need much more attention until the time comes to move hosting for
theStarport.org and its email, at which point I'll be able to
dump my old DSL line. Repackaging the gateway and upgrading my
workstation hardware are also on the short list, but aren't particularly
urgent and won't require much in the way of time or planning.