Everything takes longer and costs more.
Today it was mostly "takes longer". It took much longer than I expected
to put the mic stands back where they belong, clear a space for the
computer, shut down and disconnect the computer in the office, and bring
it back up in the
Then it took a lot longer than I would have liked to get the Cat6 cable
run back in operation. It didn't work when I installed it -- I figured
(correctly, as it turned out) that the problem was screwed-up plugs. I
ended up cutting off both ends' plugs and connecting them to a patch panel
on the office end, and a modular jack in the garage attic. Naturally this
required several tests, each of which meant a round trip up and down the
garage stairs. Par for the course.
This freed up the the old Cat5 run I'd been using, leaving me free to use
it as I'd originally intended: to run audio for editing, so I don't have
to waste two hours moving the box the next time. It took longer
than I expected. Surprise. And I wasn't expecting the sound quality to
be particularly good, but I wasn't expecting nearly as much 60Hz hum as I
ended up getting, either. Not nice
(A few minutes later) An isolation transformer (Furman ISOpatch)
helps a lot. And I'll be the rest of the problem is caused by the fact
that there are two independent paths for what is really the same ground.
(A few minutes later) Maybe not: shorting the two grounds at this
end doesn't seem to help, and I know they're shorted at the other end. I
may just be stuck with it for now.
If I had real differential signals this probably wouldn't be a problem.
At least now it's down to the point where it's not really noticable when
I'm actually editng. So I could edit now, except that I'll need to go to