mdlbear: blue fractal bear with text "since 2002" (Default)
[personal profile] mdlbear

TL;DR: If you live in the US, stay away from raw leafy greens, herbs, berries, snow peas, and scallions. Maybe other produce. Cooked is okay.

See siderea | ALERT: Cyclosporiasis outbreak nationwide [pestilence, US, Patreon] for a lot more information and many excellent links. Probably the first link to follow (well, okay, the first link I followed) is Your Local Epidemiologist: Explosive foodborne outbreak - by Katelyn Jetelina. I'm assuming that the ambiguity of "explosive" is deliberate.

Date: 2026-07-14 12:37 pm (UTC)
madfilkentist: My cat Florestan (gray shorthair) (Default)
From: [personal profile] madfilkentist
So far the outbreak is in the Midwest, and I'm in New Hampshire. I'll take elevated precautions, but I'm not throwing out all my salad fixings.

Date: 2026-07-14 11:13 pm (UTC)
madfilkentist: My cat Florestan (gray shorthair) (Default)
From: [personal profile] madfilkentist
Just saw that over a hundred cases have been reported in New York State. Maybe I should wait a while before replenishing my salad supplies.

Date: 2026-07-15 12:06 am (UTC)
gorgeousgary: (apple)
From: [personal profile] gorgeousgary
Among the many things I did not have on my 2026 bingo card was having to worry about a literal Salad of Doom!

Date: 2026-07-15 11:59 am (UTC)
melchar: medieval raccoon girl (Default)
From: [personal profile] melchar
Aaaaaand US standards have been reduced to test produce because industries whined about the cost.

Date: 2026-07-16 01:30 pm (UTC)
madfilkentist: My cat Florestan (gray shorthair) (Default)
From: [personal profile] madfilkentist
Historically, cyclospora has usually been traced to imports from countries with warm climates. There seem to be suspicions the source could be domestic this time, though. The long incubation time makes it harder to trace cases to a source.

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Page generated 2026-10-24 08:43 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios