mdlbear: The sun, almost completely eclipsed, with diamon-ring effect. (solar-eclipse)
[personal profile] mdlbear

Or maybe I should title this “how I spent my vacation”. This was a long, expensive, and occasionally difficult trip, all for the sake of a 90-second once-in-a-lifetime experience. It was well worth it. I have a rather short bucket list, but a total eclipse has been at the top of it for a long time.

I’ve already told the rest of the story, with very little detail, in earlier posts, and will (soon, hopefully) give a more detailed account in our travel blog, Going-Sideways. The important part was on Thursday, 12 August, 2026 at about 20:30. Despite our planning a year in advance, we didn’t do quite enough research -- although the hotel had suites with an "ocean view", that didn't give a clear view of the western horizon. But we were close enough.

The "official" designated viewing spot was on the beach (there’s a book title in there someplace), the Playa de Santa Ponça, about two kilometers from the hotel. There was a time in my life when that would have been an easy walk. N had very sensibly rented a mobility scooter, which we took turns on (see St/rolling), and I had packed along a chair-cane that proved to be a life saver both on the walk and on the beach.

We had no idea how crowded the beach was going to be, and neither did anyone else, so when we saw people starting to arrive we headed out at about half-past noon, and found a nice spot at the water’s edge, on the end of the beach nearest the hotel. We could have left hours later, as it turned out. But we didn’t know that at the time.

A nice man came by and gave us a parasol. (My guess is that he, like us, was a tourist and didn’t need it any more.) I waded in about up to my knees – the bottom was pebbles rather than sand; it hurt my feet and I felt unstable. But I got my feet wet in the Mediterranean Sea, for the first and probably last time. A little later, I realized that we would probably get a better view from further back, because it would put us a meter or two higher. Besides, there were trees for shade, and a shower with cold fresh water.

N did a little more research, and concluded that the seeing would be better at the other (South) end, a few hundred meters away. Besides, that was where the official map said it would be. (The map was put out by the government, which was treating the whole event as a potential emergency. The hotel brought a copy to our room, along with three eclipse glasses.) We found a spot on the stone wall that ran along the back of the beach area, with a wooded hill behind it. There were lots of people all along the way setting up cameras, telescopes, and so on, which suggested that we were in the right place. We were.

A few minutes before the start of the eclipse, we gathered up our things and made our way the short distance down the hill to sit on the wall. The sun was behind the lower branches of a tree when the eclipse started at 19:38, but cleared them a little way into the partial phase, when the sun looked like a very fat crescent. I took a photo, which didn't come out well, and then on a whim a selfie, complete with eclipse glasses.

When the sun had shrunk down to a skinny crescent it started getting noticeably darker, and people started cheering. The sun shrank to a sliver, and then to a tiny red jewel. (It's called the diamond ring effect, but that close to sunset it was more like a ruby, and beautiful.) We took off our glasses, and there it was!! It lasted for about a minute and a half, starting at 20:31.

It is kind of Amazing just how amazing a fuzzy little circle of light can be. I fumbled with my phone trying to take a picture, failed, gave up, and just gazed at it. A minute and a half later we put our glasses back on and were treated to another ruby ring. We watched for a few minutes more, until the sun went behind the headland on the other side on the bay.

I found out later that my phone fumbling had somehow managed to capture a few seconds of video during totality. I was disappointed at first, but very happy about it now–it perfectly captures the beach party mood of the occasion.

The walk back to the hotel was mostly up-hill; we were both exhausted by the time we got back. Knowing we'd miss the hotel's dinner buffet, we stopped in a McD's that we'd seen on the way.

TRAVEL NOTES, with a little more detail than in this earlier post.

The Travelpro backpack is well organized, and can be packed very full, but it's hard to get things in and out of the outside pockets when it's bulging. The worst thing though is if the straps– too far apart, so one is always slipping off me shoulder. OTOH it fit perfectly under the seat in front of me, and everything I needed was accessible during the flight.

Transavia doesn't know how to treat invisibly disabled people. Neither does Palma airport. We had to stand in line to check in on the way back, for about an hour. No wheelchairs even though we ordered them in advance. Next time if we go at all we'll take a train to Barcelona and a ferry from there to Mallorca.

The nano bag sling was great. The chair cane was a lifesaver on the beach and in the Palma airport, but a nuisance to carry around.

Eclipse times: starts 19:38, totality 20:31 for about 1:30, sunset is 20:49.

LIVEBLOGGING:

N and I are here at the beach; is now 13:29 and we've been here maybe an hour at this point. The sun is close to overhead; in facing the sea and the wind is blowing straight in my face . Could hardly be better.

1458 have gone for water. Went to the loo and took my underwear off, later my socks so that I could get my feet wet. Took my socks off with N’s help when I got back to the towel.

15:40ish gone to sit under a tree on a stone wall Because my seat cane isn't comfortable for long sits. Also my toes are swollen, possibly infected. Possibly changing my name to Oedipus.

1630ish moved back under the shade of a tree. I think that being on higher ground will give us a little more time. Hope I haven't blown it.

18:15 we've moved again, over to the z extreme south end of the beach. Presumably we'll have a better view here.N is pretty worn out. As I usual the most physically able person in the household is the 79 year old with a bad, well, shoulder this year. The back is comparatively better.

The beach is crowded but we could have left half an hour ago and gotten here in time. No way of knowing

19:25 we have a good spot on a wall

20:08 about 30%

WE SAW IT. clear view

Date: 2026-08-29 06:44 pm (UTC)
From: [personal profile] pocketnaomi
I had no idea, when I asked you what you wanted to do for your eightieth birthday, what kind of adventures I was about to get into for your 79th. Thank you for proposing this madcap scheme... it was exhausting and painful and it took me two days to get over the long wait at the beach and another two to get over the long walk at the airport on the way home... and I am *still* truly delighted that I got a chance to see that. It wouldn't have occurred to me if you hadn't brought it up, and I am so happy that I went with you. It was amazing.

Date: 2026-08-30 07:59 am (UTC)
freyjaw: (earth)
From: [personal profile] freyjaw
I'm dying of envy. Glad you saw it, thought!

GIP

Date: 2026-09-13 11:52 pm (UTC)
jesse_the_k: tiny slice of sunlight peeks out in cloudy black sky (clouds 2024 eclipse)
From: [personal profile] jesse_the_k

I love your occluding-glasses selfie, and congrats on ticking another one off the list!

(I had the good fortune to witness a total solar eclipse on Chincoteague Island in 1970.)

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Page generated 2026-10-23 05:24 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios