If you use Livejournal, you will already have seen the pop-up demanding that you agree to their new terms of service. med_cat has an excellent partial translation and analysis. A full copy of the agreement can be found in archangelbeth | And the translation of the New User Agreement for Livejournal
I will add more as they come in. The salient points are:
- [The user must] Mark Content estimated by Russian legislation as
inappropriate for children (0 −18) as “adult material” by using Service
Who the heck knows what this includes? Play it safe.
- The user may not:
- without the Administration’s special permit, use
automatic scripts (bots, crawlers etc.) to collect information from the
Service and/or to interact with the Service;
Which arguably covers backing up to DW or your local hard drive.
- post advertising and/or political solicitation
materials unless otherwise directly specified in a separate agreement
between User and the Administration;
This presumably covers promoting one's CDs or other ventures.
- without the Administration’s special permit, use automatic scripts (bots, crawlers etc.) to collect information from the Service and/or to interact with the Service;
Many of my friends are leaving altogether. I don't blame them.
What I have done:
- I post no original content on LJ -- it's all cross-posted from here on Dreamwidth.
- Copied all LJ content -- posts and comments -- over to Dreamwidth.
- Comments on cross-posts are disabled; the footer has a link to the corresponding DW post.
- I use LJ only to read comments and posts that are not on Dreamwidth. I read DW first so that I can skip cross-posts that don't have comments.
- I have started to take people who no longer allow comments on LJ off my friends list.
- Effective immediately, I am marking my journal as "adult content", and disabled my participation in "user rankings".
- I have reduced the amount of information shown in my profile. In particular, I have removed my list of interests.
- I have taken my website link off the journal headers and out of my profile. If you want more information, look at my DW profile.
- Sometime in mid-April, I will disable comments altogether on LJ, at which point all existing comments will be hidden. They've already been copied over to Dreamwidth, so nothing will be lost. This is for your protection, in case you've posted a comment that could be construed as violating Russian law.
- At some point, I will stop cross-posting, both because of the legal risk and as a protest.
- At some further point, I may delete all or most of my posts, or possibly replace them with links to the corresponding posts on DW.
Sorry, LJ. We had a great time together, but I think it's best for both of us if we go back to being just friends. OK?
And I'm not saying you treated me unkind / You could have done better, but I don't mind / You just kinda wasted my precious time. / Don't think twice, it's all right.