Hmm. Late again, I see.
- A sister willing to be her brother's keeper. (Because I apparently need a keeper.)
- A trip to the theater to see A Chorus Line.
- My family.
- Help with the Trainwreck.
- Backups, with extra git.
- Timely upgrades, and apt-get.
And NO thanks to:
- Our no-good realtor.
- Uncooperative body parts.
- Bad habits. Especially expensive bad habits.
Today I'm thankful for...
- Dental insurance.
- Smiles from random strangers. (Baffled, but thankful anyway.)
- Overdraft protection.
- The ability to work from home and still be productive.
- Having sense enough not to read the news today.
- Kid hugs and kitty cuddles.
- Chinese food to go.
git reset --hard(One of my coworkers has a t-shirt that says "Keep calm and git revert", but reset is better if you haven't pushed your commit upstream yet.)
So, today I'm grateful for...
- Cuddly cats and capering kittens.
- Ninja cat burglers. It seems Cricket has been taking lessons from Desti.
- Friday. Both the day and the tea purveyor.
- The ability to work from home occasionally.
git rebase --onto ...
NO thanks to...
- Another buyer backing out.
- Social anxiety, or whatever it is.
- Weight gain as a side effect of antidepressants.
Yeah, it's Saturday. Deal.
Today my gratitude extends to...
- Scraping by
- Street fairs
- Colleen being well enough to go to a street fair
- People who sell sunscreen at street fairs
- Colleen bringing my attention to the fact that the potato chips taste sweet after the street fair
- A freezer with an icemaker, and a fridge with a bottle of gin in it
- A fan in the window
- The fact that some things are "not my circus, not my monkey"
- Not being the only techno-bear in the house.
- City water
Ok, so it's past due. So are a lot of things. I'm thankful for
- Chest and arm pain turning out to be muscle aches and anxiety. I should learn to listen more closely to my body -- if I can walk half a mile to work without things getting worse, my heart is probably ok.
- Income, even though there isn't quite enough of it.
- Breakfast for dinner.
- My family.
- Plug-in hybrid car.
Hmm. *Makes effort not to think of problems.* *Fails and starts over.*
Today I'm thankful for
- Peace and quiet.
- Kids around the house. (Note that this and the previous item are mostly mutually exclusive in time.)
- Cats, both two- and four-legged.
- Leftovers for breakfast.
- Public transit.
- An operating system with free upgrades.
Today I'm grateful for...
- Unions! Little things like the five-day work week, the eight-hour work day, paid time off... We didn't always have them.
- Spring! The First of May! Spring weather!
- Music at Rainbow's End. Most of the people reading this will have missed two terrific concerts already.
- The wonderful people I live with.
- Friends. Friends help you move. Yup.
- Public transit.
- Not being the only geek in the house.
Doing somewhat better tonight -- it's hard to be depressed with a cat on one's lap. (I can do it, but it's harder.) Anyway, today I'm thankful for...
- A house big enough for concerts, like Tracy Grammer here this Saturday night!
- A cat who has finally decided that my lap is an ok place to hang out sometimes. Better than drugs.
- Friends willing to drive a U-Haul over 800 miles after loading it up with the last of our stuff from the Starport. Friends help you move.
- Not having a need for good friends from the previously-referenced joke.
- Nice weather.
- Not being woken in the middle of the night. (Not thankful for Monday night.)
- Refactoring operations in Eclipse.
- Leftovers for breakfast. Especially when they include something I can make into fried rice.
Like it says on the label. I'm having a hard time feeling much of anything right now, I think.
Anyway, I'm thankful for...
- The ability to pay bills online.
- Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.
- Credit. Are we sensing a theme here?
- People who get after me to get stuff done.
- People who know me well enough to be able to tell me what I'm feeling. See Alexithymia
- Cats. Both two- and four-legged.
Hey, it's actually Thursday this week! I'm thankful for...
- A city that knows the difference between a victory parade and a riot, and goes with the parade.
- Mudita, especially for the local sportsball fans.
- Occasionally being able to identify feelings. Especially when they're not the familiar ones, e.g., depression.
- Commuting by bus.
Late again. But anyway, I'm thankful for...
- Pete Seeger's music, which will live on for a long time.
- Allie Brosh
- People willing to take on some of my execrable paperwork. (Which still leaves me with (x-2)ecrable paperwork, but it's something.)
- Medical insurance, even if it's part of the x-2.
- Bacon. Eggs. Bacon and eggs. More ba--sorry about that.
Hey, it's Thursday again! I'm thankful for...
- Colleen, and 38 years (plus 6 days).
- Finding a great financial advisor. If anyone knows a great realtor in San Jose, let me know -- I need one of those, too.
- Good food.
- Backups. Which reminds me...
- Cat cuddles. Both tabby and Cheshire.
- Things that really suck, when they happen to be vacuum cleaners.
- Better living through chemistry.
Hey, it's Thursday! Today I'm thankful for...
- A well-timed first paycheck, with welcome sign-on bonus. I'll have to save most of it; I'll probably need it for taxes.
- Paid vacation.
- Cats, and especially Curio-snuggles.
- Kitties and bears and goats, oh my!
- My younger daughter's new boyfriend. I love seeing her happy.
- 38 wonderful years, as of tomorrow.
- A party here on Saturday. See the Rainbow's End site for directions.
So, today I'm thankful for:
- A job with flexible hours that I can commute to by bus. See above.
- Home and family.
- Colleen doing better, even if only a little -- sometimes that's all it takes. She's well enough and strong enough for car trips and shopping, which is *fantastic* for her morale and my budget.
A little late, but no less heartfelt. Today I'm grateful for:
- A little cluster of things nice things around Amazon, starting with the fact that they decided to hire me full-time. And a rather generous sign-on bonus, coming at a time when I really seem to need it.
- Good advice on hard choices.
- My wonderful, whacky, amazingly awesome extended family.
- Weather. I kind of missed it in California.
- Music. And getting back to making it, a little.
- Cats. Cuddly cats.
I'm still having a little trouble getting back into the swing of Thankful Thursdays, but fortunately Colleen reminded me a few minutes ago. So today I'm thankful for:
- Colleen, first and foremost.
- An adjustment in her medication, going back to something that worked before and finding that it still does. The rest is TMI.
- Sleeping in Our Own Bed again.
- The stairlift, and warranty repairs made promptly and easily.
- Cat cuddles. Cuddles in general, actually.
- Emmy taking a cooking class and doing her homework for the family.
- Interviews that appear to have gone well; interviews scheduled.
- Commuting by bus.
Thanksgiving seems like a good day to re-start Thankful Thursday posts; I have a lot of catching up to do, so here goes...
Today I'm thankful for:
- FAMILY. Blood and chosen, near and far. I have an amazing, wonderful family. I especially have to mention my love Colleen, our kids, Emmy and Kat, who just keep getting even more amazing with time, my sister of choice Naomi and her kids, and my Seattle relatives, with whom I'm finally getting back in touch.
- Friends and friendship. Friends online and off, near and distant. Friends becoming closer friends. I love you all.
- Rainbow's End. We -- my crazy extended family and I -- found ourselves a wonderful house in West Seattle this year, and it has become our home.
- Employment. I've been employed here in Seattle for a little over a year, after far too long a gap since I lost my job in San Jose. A skill set that continues to keep me employable.
- Our cats. I hadn't realized just how much of a cat person I was until Curio walked up to me in the shelter and told me "Hi there. I'm your cat." Naomi had to translate for him, but I'm learning.
- Medical insurance. The American health doesn't-care system sucks, but I shudder to think of what Colleen's tab would have looked like if I hadn't had insurance through my employer.
- A kitchen big enough for more than one person to work in, and a Thanksgiving dinner that came out amazingly well.
- A lot of little and not-so-little things. Backups. Good tools, both hard and soft. Colleen's PT and other support people.
- ... and most of all, the fact that things haven't turned out nearly as bad as they could have. I've been lucky, and I know it. (I've also been incredibly stupid at times, but that's another post.)
A lot to be thankful for. It's been a while.
- HOUSE! We're buying a house!! We found the right house!!! Burble.
- Having an income and credit score that made it possible to put in an offer and get it accepted. My credit score just squeaked by; things have gotten a lot more difficult since the days of sub-prime mortgages and easy money. Not complaining.
- The multifunction peripheral at work, and especially its fax function. I am not grateful for the paperwork, only for its ultimate goal and the ability to handle the stuff expeditiously.
- My sister and soon-to-be-housemate, the amazing pocketnaomi. Who found THAT house, made arrangements, greased skids, made molehills out of mountains, and generally made things happen.
- My health, and the ability to continue coping when it breaks down somewhat.
gitdistributed version control system, which made it possible to work even in the absence of a VPN connection.
- Gainful employment.
- The filk community, and most recently Conflikt.
This weekend I'm grateful for...
- A roof over my head.
- Good food to eat.
- Gainful employment, so I can afford to keep the above.
- A half-hour commute by bus into downtown Seattle.
- Colleen, both my kids, and my sister of choice, all living within easy driving distance.
- Democrats retaining control of the White House and Senate.
- A mild climate with both rain and sunlight. The sun just came out, which I am going to take as a good omen.
Yay! It's actually Thursday! And I'm thankful for...
- My dear sister-of-choice pocketnaomi, visiting from Up North.
- Tasty, inexpensive Indian buffet food.
- The internet, which makes it possible to research jobs in Seattle from my living room in San Jose, and keeps me in touch with far more people than I could possibly call or write letters to.
- That CRAY-1 in my pocket.
I didn't exactly forget Thankful Thursday this week; I figured it might be sensible to wait and see what else I had to be thankful for. So, here we go:
- A good, long run at a good company.
- A final paycheck with over two weeks of vacation pay in it.
- Six months of severance pay, with full benefits.
- Moving to where there's no state income tax.
- Lots of fond goodbyes, and a card covered with good wishes.
- Early retirement, even if it's
onlyfor a few months.
- Renters for the house, at a rate that will cover the mortgage.
- Cope, including cope in a bottle.
- Little boxes.
A very special Thankful Thursday today. Today I am thankful for:
- Three weeks' notice and 6 months of severance pay
- A great set of soon-to-be-ex coworkers
- My skill as a programmer and software architect
- My 65th birthday, in less than a week
- The Starport's annual "It's Green" party on Saturday.
Yup. Laid off, after 19.5 years at Ricoh. It's been a good run. I can't afford to retire; I took about half the equity out of my house, and the housing market has taken almost all of the other half. I'll consider work either locally (Silicon Valley) or in the Seattle area, broadening to include Oregon and Utah if it becomes necessary in a couple of months.
I'll have copies of my resume at the party on Saturday. See you there?
Today (and it's still Thursday in this timezone! Yay!) I am thankful for...
- Things that could have been much, much worse not being nearly that bad.
- Good walking weather.
- Joints that hardly hurt at all this week.
- Free software that Just Works.
- Colleen and her mad fabric skilz.
- My health, which could also be a lot worse than it is.
It's a day late, but... I'm thankful for:
- Friends who care about me enough to call me on my bullshit.
- Being willing to listen, and fix my mistakes if possible, when they do.
- The scientific method, which is basically exactly that.
- Naomi and Colleen, who have been just that kind of friend when I needed it, more times than I like to think.
- Having been turned down by someone I'm now glad not to have gotten more deeply involved with.
So, today I'm thankful for...
- Already being mostly clear of the latest debacle on LJ.
- An operating system with a wide choice of desktop user interfaces.
- Family, and especially having my Wolfling back at home for the holidays.
- Medical and vision-care insurance.
- Snell's Law.
- Omega-3 fatty acids.
- The Winter Solstice.