Like it says on the label. I'm having a hard time feeling much of anything right now, I think.
Anyway, I'm thankful for...
- The ability to pay bills online.
- Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.
- Credit. Are we sensing a theme here?
- People who get after me to get stuff done.
- People who know me well enough to be able to tell me what I'm feeling. See Alexithymia
- Cats. Both two- and four-legged.
Hey, it's actually Thursday this week! I'm thankful for...
- A city that knows the difference between a victory parade and a riot, and goes with the parade.
- Mudita, especially for the local sportsball fans.
- Occasionally being able to identify feelings. Especially when they're not the familiar ones, e.g., depression.
- Commuting by bus.
Late again. But anyway, I'm thankful for...
- Pete Seeger's music, which will live on for a long time.
- Allie Brosh
- People willing to take on some of my execrable paperwork. (Which still leaves me with (x-2)ecrable paperwork, but it's something.)
- Medical insurance, even if it's part of the x-2.
- Bacon. Eggs. Bacon and eggs. More ba--sorry about that.
Hey, it's Thursday again! I'm thankful for...
- Colleen, and 38 years (plus 6 days).
- Finding a great financial advisor. If anyone knows a great realtor in San Jose, let me know -- I need one of those, too.
- Good food.
- Backups. Which reminds me...
- Cat cuddles. Both tabby and Cheshire.
- Things that really suck, when they happen to be vacuum cleaners.
- Better living through chemistry.
Hey, it's Thursday! Today I'm thankful for...
- A well-timed first paycheck, with welcome sign-on bonus. I'll have to save most of it; I'll probably need it for taxes.
- Paid vacation.
- Cats, and especially Curio-snuggles.
- Kitties and bears and goats, oh my!
- My younger daughter's new boyfriend. I love seeing her happy.
- 38 wonderful years, as of tomorrow.
- A party here on Saturday. See the Rainbow's End site for directions.
So, today I'm thankful for:
- A job with flexible hours that I can commute to by bus. See above.
- Home and family.
- Colleen doing better, even if only a little -- sometimes that's all it takes. She's well enough and strong enough for car trips and shopping, which is *fantastic* for her morale and my budget.
A little late, but no less heartfelt. Today I'm grateful for:
- A little cluster of things nice things around Amazon, starting with the fact that they decided to hire me full-time. And a rather generous sign-on bonus, coming at a time when I really seem to need it.
- Good advice on hard choices.
- My wonderful, whacky, amazingly awesome extended family.
- Weather. I kind of missed it in California.
- Music. And getting back to making it, a little.
- Cats. Cuddly cats.
I'm still having a little trouble getting back into the swing of Thankful Thursdays, but fortunately Colleen reminded me a few minutes ago. So today I'm thankful for:
- Colleen, first and foremost.
- An adjustment in her medication, going back to something that worked before and finding that it still does. The rest is TMI.
- Sleeping in Our Own Bed again.
- The stairlift, and warranty repairs made promptly and easily.
- Cat cuddles. Cuddles in general, actually.
- Emmy taking a cooking class and doing her homework for the family.
- Interviews that appear to have gone well; interviews scheduled.
- Commuting by bus.
Thanksgiving seems like a good day to re-start Thankful Thursday posts; I have a lot of catching up to do, so here goes...
Today I'm thankful for:
- FAMILY. Blood and chosen, near and far. I have an amazing, wonderful family. I especially have to mention my love Colleen, our kids, Emmy and Kat, who just keep getting even more amazing with time, my sister of choice Naomi and her kids, and my Seattle relatives, with whom I'm finally getting back in touch.
- Friends and friendship. Friends online and off, near and distant. Friends becoming closer friends. I love you all.
- Rainbow's End. We -- my crazy extended family and I -- found ourselves a wonderful house in West Seattle this year, and it has become our home.
- Employment. I've been employed here in Seattle for a little over a year, after far too long a gap since I lost my job in San Jose. A skill set that continues to keep me employable.
- Our cats. I hadn't realized just how much of a cat person I was until Curio walked up to me in the shelter and told me "Hi there. I'm your cat." Naomi had to translate for him, but I'm learning.
- Medical insurance. The American health doesn't-care system sucks, but I shudder to think of what Colleen's tab would have looked like if I hadn't had insurance through my employer.
- A kitchen big enough for more than one person to work in, and a Thanksgiving dinner that came out amazingly well.
- A lot of little and not-so-little things. Backups. Good tools, both hard and soft. Colleen's PT and other support people.
- ... and most of all, the fact that things haven't turned out nearly as bad as they could have. I've been lucky, and I know it. (I've also been incredibly stupid at times, but that's another post.)
A lot to be thankful for. It's been a while.
- HOUSE! We're buying a house!! We found the right house!!! Burble.
- Having an income and credit score that made it possible to put in an offer and get it accepted. My credit score just squeaked by; things have gotten a lot more difficult since the days of sub-prime mortgages and easy money. Not complaining.
- The multifunction peripheral at work, and especially its fax function. I am not grateful for the paperwork, only for its ultimate goal and the ability to handle the stuff expeditiously.
- My sister and soon-to-be-housemate, the amazing pocketnaomi. Who found THAT house, made arrangements, greased skids, made molehills out of mountains, and generally made things happen.
- My health, and the ability to continue coping when it breaks down somewhat.
gitdistributed version control system, which made it possible to work even in the absence of a VPN connection.
- Gainful employment.
- The filk community, and most recently Conflikt.
This weekend I'm grateful for...
- A roof over my head.
- Good food to eat.
- Gainful employment, so I can afford to keep the above.
- A half-hour commute by bus into downtown Seattle.
- Colleen, both my kids, and my sister of choice, all living within easy driving distance.
- Democrats retaining control of the White House and Senate.
- A mild climate with both rain and sunlight. The sun just came out, which I am going to take as a good omen.
Yay! It's actually Thursday! And I'm thankful for...
- My dear sister-of-choice pocketnaomi, visiting from Up North.
- Tasty, inexpensive Indian buffet food.
- The internet, which makes it possible to research jobs in Seattle from my living room in San Jose, and keeps me in touch with far more people than I could possibly call or write letters to.
- That CRAY-1 in my pocket.
I didn't exactly forget Thankful Thursday this week; I figured it might be sensible to wait and see what else I had to be thankful for. So, here we go:
- A good, long run at a good company.
- A final paycheck with over two weeks of vacation pay in it.
- Six months of severance pay, with full benefits.
- Moving to where there's no state income tax.
- Lots of fond goodbyes, and a card covered with good wishes.
- Early retirement, even if it's
onlyfor a few months.
- Renters for the house, at a rate that will cover the mortgage.
- Cope, including cope in a bottle.
- Little boxes.
A very special Thankful Thursday today. Today I am thankful for:
- Three weeks' notice and 6 months of severance pay
- A great set of soon-to-be-ex coworkers
- My skill as a programmer and software architect
- My 65th birthday, in less than a week
- The Starport's annual "It's Green" party on Saturday.
Yup. Laid off, after 19.5 years at Ricoh. It's been a good run. I can't afford to retire; I took about half the equity out of my house, and the housing market has taken almost all of the other half. I'll consider work either locally (Silicon Valley) or in the Seattle area, broadening to include Oregon and Utah if it becomes necessary in a couple of months.
I'll have copies of my resume at the party on Saturday. See you there?
Today (and it's still Thursday in this timezone! Yay!) I am thankful for...
- Things that could have been much, much worse not being nearly that bad.
- Good walking weather.
- Joints that hardly hurt at all this week.
- Free software that Just Works.
- Colleen and her mad fabric skilz.
- My health, which could also be a lot worse than it is.
It's a day late, but... I'm thankful for:
- Friends who care about me enough to call me on my bullshit.
- Being willing to listen, and fix my mistakes if possible, when they do.
- The scientific method, which is basically exactly that.
- Naomi and Colleen, who have been just that kind of friend when I needed it, more times than I like to think.
- Having been turned down by someone I'm now glad not to have gotten more deeply involved with.
So, today I'm thankful for...
- Already being mostly clear of the latest debacle on LJ.
- An operating system with a wide choice of desktop user interfaces.
- Family, and especially having my Wolfling back at home for the holidays.
- Medical and vision-care insurance.
- Snell's Law.
- Omega-3 fatty acids.
- The Winter Solstice.
Oops! Anyway, I'm thankful for...
- First steps back from dark places.
- A sense of humor, even if I still don't use it as much as I ought to.
- Blue cheese and apples.
- Open source VoIP software.
- The ability to write well and persuasively (though it remains to be seen just how persuasive that was).
- Praise from people who know what they're talking about.
Today is Thanksgiving. Second Thanksgiving, for those of you north of the border. And I'm grateful for
- Nearly 36 years of happy, stable marriage to the lovely Colleen.
- Colleen's continuing improvement in health. A special mention to her cane and scooter.
- My kids, who seem to be turning out ok in spite of all the mistakes we made raising them.
- My sister of choice, Naomi.
- My friends.
- The filk community.
- 19 years of stable employment with a company that gives a damn, doing something I enjoy.
- The Occupy Everywhere movement.
Um... looks like I missed last week, too. Oops! So, thanks for...
- Colleen's increasing independence. The improvement has been gradual, but when I look back at last year and two years ago it's amazing.
- Feeling better about myself.
- Connecting with old friends at Orycon, and making new ones.
- Getting a few things done off my to.do list.
- My UPSs.
Thursday already! The week has flown by. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention. Anyway, here goes. I'm thankful for:
- Feeling better, both physically and mentally. (I'd feel better still about the latter if I knew why.)
- Hospital beds at home. (Elevating the head probably accounts for the "physically" above.)
- Eventually figuring things out. Especially when it's laryngopharyngeal reflux.
- As runnerwolf said, forward momentum.
- runnerwolf for mentioning forward momentum and reminding me that it's Thursday.
- A multifunction machine that's perfectly happy to answer unsolicited calls from telemarketers and make rude noises at them.
And in the morning! What's the world coming to? Anyway, I'm thankful for...
- My bandmates, Callie and Naomi.
- My wolfling daughter.
- Colleen's persistance in clawing her way back to independence, with a little help from Horatio the cane.
- An employer that gives a damn about people and the environment.
- People willing to put themselves on the line for what they believe in.
So I'm a confuzzled bear, but I'm traveling tomorrow, and it's going to be Thursday in less than an hour anyway. Anyway, I'm thankful for...
- Naomi and Callie, my partners in
- Colleen, and slow but continuing recovery.
- OccupyWallStreet, and the fact that Occupy San Jose is cycling distance from the house.
- Employment and health insurance.
- Cope in a bottle.
- People who love me.
So, today I'm thankful for...
- A collection of body parts that, while clearly old, shabby, and poorly maintained, are nevertheless reasonably functional.
- My wise, wonderful sister of choice.
- A distant daughter who loves us and misses us enough to want to come home for Christmas.
- Lids that fit our frying pans well enough to put out a grease fire.
- Colleen, and her continuing improvement.
- CAD audio, and a chance to use some of my audio skills at work.
Hey, I actually posted on Thursday for the second week in a row! I know -- not much of an accomplishment. Onward! Today I'm thankful for:
Hmm. Today I am thankful for...
- Colleen. And recovery, even if it's slow.
- Averted disasters.
- A room in the con hotel when we needed it.
- My daughters, and especially Chaos, who helped make our weekend in Seattle a huge success.
- Music, and dear friends who help me make it.
- Compassion. Including some for myself -- that's the hardest one.
So... today I'm thankful for:
- Whimsy and sensible nonsense.
- People who aren't afraid to whap me upside the head when I'm being an idiot.
- Wonderful coworkers, old and new.
- Finally being back in (R&D, and an office with a door).
- Diets that help with chronic diseases, even if they mostly suck.
I think I missed last week. Um... yes. And the one before that, too. Of course, two weeks ago I was at Worldcon, with lousy connectivity, and last week I was kind of recovering from Worldcon. But I can't really make excuses, and I won't. I just didn't do it. Anyway...
Today I'm thankful for...
- Opportunities to learn.
- Terrific coworkers both at the place I'm leaving, and at the place I'm going back to.
- The opportunity to work on a fantastic product.
- Not having to worry about the release schedule any more.
- Moving boxes that don't require tape.
- Exercises that fix my shoulder pain. My PT, Christina.
- A home state where all public spaces in hotels are smoke-free.
- Being older and wiser.
- My health.
So... Today I'm thankful for:
- Naproxen sodium and methocarbamol. Oh, and ethanol.
- Friends who are good at real-time scheduling.
- Friends who help (the two sets are not mutually exclusive).
- Auto mechanics. And quantum mechanics, but I only put that in because it's the fundamental structure of the universe and I wouldn't be here without it.
- Colleen getting her cast off.
- An airport close enough to drive to in 15 minutes. Which I need to do, like, now.
Yeah; I missed it last week. *shrugs* Gotta keep on keepin' on, I guess. Today I'm thankful for...
- My friends, and renewing connections.
- Again, a special mention to Liz and Og.
- Transitions, and the flexibility to handle many of them with a modicum of grace.
- My once and future boss, JB.
- A court order that greatly simplifies an unpleasant task.
- Replacing a failing disk before it starts losing data, and saving a few watts and decibels in the process.
I have something to add to my Thankful Thursday post, or more specifically two people. I'm very grateful to...
- Liz and Og, for their help around the house...
- ... and especially Liz (tetralizard), for being Colleen's "Old Lady's Companion" on more occasions than I can count, or adequately thank her for.
So here it is, on same day as the last launch of the shuttle. And the same day as a dear friend's divorce becomes final.
- A successful last launch for the poor old Space Shuttle.
- Horatio (Colleen's four-footed) cane.
- eInk displays.
- QA departments everywhere.
- Our loyal washer and drier.
- Endings that are truly new beginnings.