Let's get the party announcement out first: we're having our usual
"sometime around New Year" party this Saturday, the 3rd. It's
actually on our anniversary this year, but we're not expecting presents,
just presence. And food. It's a potluck -- food is always welcome.
OK, now the Thankful Thursday: Today I'm thankful for...
- Having gotten a few things done off my list from last year
- Software, gin, and a few other things that aren't exactly addictions
but are nice to have.
- Coffee, which is an addiction.
- Rainbow's End.
- Cat therapy.
- Colleen. How -- and why -- she puts up with me I'll never know, but
And finally, an annotated look back at last year's goals (not resolutions
-- I'm too irresolute for those).
- Get back into recording. I don't think I can manage a whole album,
but I can probably manage a lot of scratch tracks and a few complete
mixes, and maybe build up momentum that way. Total fail.
- Eat better. I may not lose weight, much as I'd like to, but nothing
says I can't have more salads for lunch. Total fail. Gained 7 lbs.
- Similarly, walk more. I've gotten horribly out of shape, but my new
office is farther from my preferred bus stop than the old one. (The 70
stops only a block away, but I'd have to stand around at 3rd and Pike
waiting to change busses. I'd rather walk.) I mostly succeeded at
- Get the medical bills taken care of. I've been ignoring a lot of
them. My sign-on bonus will probably go for that and taxes,
mostly. Sort of. The sign-on bonus got squandered, but the taxes
and -- I think -- the medical bills eventually got paid, out
of the meager proceeds from the Starport.
- Bring some better order to my motley collection of blogs and web
sites, with as much of the content as possible deployed using git
hooks. Only if you count what I've done in the last week.
- Write more! Songs, fiction, essays, whatever. I haven't done any
writing to speak of for, what? Two years? Mostly not. I've done
written a handful of metafics and a recipe or two.
- Sell the Starport. Mostly. It did get sold, but a lot later
and for less money than we needed.
So, out of seven goals, two total failures, one moderate success, and four
"successes" that were mixed enough to feel like failure anyway.
May this year be better.